Saturday, March 03, 2007

Memorable Movie Lines


Watched Casablanca today. I'd been wanting to watch it for quite a while now: finally did. Talking about Casablanca, most conversations inevitably draw to some of the classic lines in the movie. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine" (also my friend Nash's favorite quote); "Here's looking at you, kid!"

Apparently, six lines from Casablanca appear in the top 100 most memorable lines in cinema history, based on a poll by the American Film Institute. That happens to be the highest by any single movie, beating Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz, which have three apiece.

As I was browsing through the list of the top 100 most memorable quotes, I felt like I couldn't relate to a lot of them. So I thought about some quotes that I've liked, but are not on the list. Here are some:

* "But I tried, didn't I? Goddamnit, at least I did that."
(ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST)

* "The only true currency in this bankrupt world....is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." (ALMOST FAMOUS)

* "How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?" (THE USUAL SUSPECTS)

* "...but you can love completely without complete understanding."
(A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT)


What are some of your all-time favorite lines?

2 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"who are those guy's" ,Butch Cassidy
"Bodily fluids are our real enemy", Dr. Strangelove

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk" - Tuco in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Each and every piece of dialog from the opening scenes of The Godfather.

"Come and say 'ello to my little friend," Tony Montana waving a grenade launcher in Scarface before finally saying the most memorable of all, "I bury those cockroaches."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home